As Project Manager you will be required to manage a portfolio of IT projects from initiation to completion. You will manage all associated resources, schedules, financial spend and provide regular reports to evidence progress. You will adhere to the business’ stage gate processes, ensuring robust controls for project change requests and risk and issue management.
Take full responsibility for the definition, documentation, and successful completion of IT projects. Adopt and adapt project management methods and tools, selecting appropriately from plan-driven/predictive approaches or more adaptive (iterative and agile) approaches.
Ensures that effective project control, change control, risk management and testing processes are maintained.
Monitor and control resources, revenue and capital cost against the project budget and manage expectations of all project stakeholders.
Plan, direct, and co-ordinate activities to manage and implement a project from contract or proposal initiation to final operational stage including the transition into “business-as-usual”.
Plan, schedule, monitor, and report on activities related to the project.
Ensures that projects are managed to realise business benefits and that project management is informed by an awareness of current technical developments.
Provide matrix management for all staff and resources assigned to the project, including project team members and support services.
Be responsible for project communications and stakeholder management; engage with stakeholders to ensure their commitment to the project.
Prepare routine and bespoke reports as required in order to meet corporate reporting requirements.
Contribute to the oversight and governance of the wider corporate portfolio, working with colleagues in the Planning, Performance & Change Team to ensure that the entire portfolio of programmes and projects is well designed, well governed and effectively managed.
Manage projects that are more complex (typically with significant business, political, or high-profile impact, and high-risk dependencies).
Keep up to date with legislative and wider changes in service areas relevant to the current portfolio of projects in order to be able to recommend and help to design solutions
We are looking for:
- Formal project or programme management qualification is essential.
- Experience of implementing Microsoft 365 in a similar size organisation (c3,000 employees) would be a bonus.
- Experience of managing complex projects in a public sector organisation is desirable – we are looking for candidates who have experience managing projects where there are limited resources and therefore have had to roll up their sleeves and wear many hats within the project team.
- The candidate will be project managing the organisation’s Microsoft 365 implementation. The client will be working with implementation partners who will lead on the technical elements, but are looking for a project manager to coordinate resources to support the implementation partners, coordinate and join up a number of inter-dependent projects, and provide project assurance.
- The current technology environment has technologies which are in need of upgrade, replacement or decommissioning to enable the delivery of a quality user experience. The current toolset presents several challenges to IT users when operating from inside offices or from home. Data is not always accessible, shareable or usable, and limits on the use of modern collaboration tools are hampering productivity.
- The Microsoft 365 and Windows 10 ecosystem provides the answer to these challenges and presents the opportunity for several costly infrastructure building blocks to be removed from the estate. The current in-flight project to replace the ICT network will also address the challenges currently caused by an ageing and inconsistent network.
- The organisation requires immediate critical remedial work to its technology environment to enable these planned and in-flight projects to deliver these benefits within the agreed timescales.
- The council will be commencing a number of critical remediation projects in April ’21 that will put the foundations in place for full implementation of M365 from August ’21 onwards. Projects include for example remediation work to the council’s citrix environment and roll out of Teams for virtual meetings.
- This work will be completed by an outsourced partner, but will need a project manager to work alongside them to ensure successful delivery.
- Alongside this, the project manager will need to plan and prepare for Phase 2 of the work, which will include procurement of a migration / implementation partner to support with data migration to the platform (phase 2). They will also need to ensure coordination of a number of interdependent projects to ensure that all activity to support Microsoft 365 implementation is joined up, e.g. network refresh project and e-storage project.
- Anticipated contract length is 12-18 months. Starting April if possible.
- Location: mostly working from home (full time working from home at the moment with 1 or 2 days a week office working in the future when restrictions allow).