The role of BI Analyst will be responsible for the provision of high-quality Business Intelligence solutions, by owning and contributing to initiatives which drive and cultivate innovate reporting & analysis across all aspects of a large scale technical modernisation programme. Through engagement with colleagues at all levels, you will assist in transformational analysis & reporting covering all areas of business operations, combining strong technical skills with business acumen and effective communication skills to bring complex data-driven solutions to life.
As a key member of the IT team, you will demonstrate a passion for delivering robust, scalable & resilient solutions and be a forward-thinking technologist with a strong business intelligence & analysis background. You will have demonstrable experience of interacting with both business and technical functions to align solutions & services to system, technical and commercial requirements, necessary to identify opportunities for business process improvement and consequential growth.
You will have previously worked on projects with multiple IT resources & business partners involved, utilising a disciplined, structured approach to your work, demonstrating organisational skills in planning, documenting, and keeping to agreed schedules. Additionally, you will be:
- A natural self-starter, with a passion for using data to drive business decisions.
- Comfortable writing SQL queries, data mining and visualisation techniques to deliver business relevant solutions.
- An individual who has built end-to-end BI solutions and is highly motivated to take responsibility for BI solutions from conception through to successful delivery.
- Prepared to engage with multiple stakeholders within the business, to collect, organise, analyse and disseminate significant amounts of information, with unparalleled attention to detail & accuracy.
- Provide crucial insight into how we are performing as a business whilst identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Have experience of working in an iterative or agile delivery environment
- Demonstrative commercial experience, possessing a track record of successfully using data to drive commercially beneficial decision making
- Have consistently managed and exceeded expectations
- Proven ability to work under pressure and with others
- Possess a tenacious attention to detail and quality
- Exhibit strong time management and motivation skills
- Possess first class communication skills
This is a great opportunity to join a progressive, technology led team directly involved in the development of exciting commercial technical projects for a business experiencing significant growth.
- Responsible for designing, developing and deploying Business Analytics Dashboards using Microsoft BI technologies including Power BI, SQL Server, Excel etc.
- Performing ad-hoc data analysis using Structured Query Language (SQL) or other appropriate toolsets.
- Supporting current data storage, integration, analysis and presentation processes.
- Analysis of external data sources such as SagePeople, Sage200, Payroll platforms etc to integrate with existing datasets and provide comprehensive relational BI reporting.
- Build compelling, interactive and actionable reporting on top of structured data models that help in deriving meaningful business insights from large, complex data.
- Supporting the full BI lifecycle from requirements analysis through to design & development, and through release and support/maintenance phases.
- Gather requirements and design reports/custom analysis tools & dashboards for the Commercial, Production & Finance teams.
- Create & publish forecasting dashboards by gathering information related to historical, current and future performance.
- Compilation & analysis of commercial & financial data to identify trends
- Collaborate on the identification and resolution of ad-hoc business issues & problem solving.
- Investigate & identify opportunities to improve business reporting & analysis across all business departments/operations.
- Liaison with colleagues & technology partners in the detailed design & configuration of new applications and the associated BI reporting requirements.
- Participate in workshops and provide presentations of proposed solutions.
- Act as a company data steward, responsible for ensuring data quality and integrity standards
- Train team members & users on Power BI reporting tools, dashboards and reports.
- You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
- Possess the ability to understand operational business processes, requirements for change and how relevant data can inform & influence the decision-making process.
- Operational Understanding
- Continually delivering and improving the functional capability of our business intelligence platforms to support colleagues and customers.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, tailoring content and style, with ability to make a positive impression on others.
- Consistent development & application of knowledge and skills in solving business issues, taking the opportunity to contribute to policy and best practice.
- Working successfully with others, building a network of good relationships in order to achieve shared goals. Encouraging knowledge transfer and the mentoring of less experienced members of the IT team.
- Demonstrate energy and enthusiasm, taking ownership, delivering results and improving personal performance
- Business System Users
- Departmental heads & team leaders
- All IT staff colleagues
- Business Systems Analysts, Project Managers & Controllers
- Third Party Service Providers & Solution partners
- Proven experience as a BI Developer & Data Analyst.
- Possess a background in data warehouse design and data mining.
- In-depth understanding of database management systems, on-line analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL frameworks.
- Effective written and verbal communication at all levels.
- Possess 3+ years’ experience of working with Business Intelligence platforms & technologies (most notably Microsoft Power BI, Cognos, Tableau etc).
- Possess knowledge of SQL queries, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) & the Microsoft Office technology stack (Advanced Excel skills).
- Knowledge and understanding of database design concepts and entity relationship modelling.
- Data transformation techniques.
- Proven ability to take initiative and be innovative.
- Possess an analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude.
- Solid understanding of business change and software development life cycle processes.
- The ability to work well in a team and unsupervised.
- Possess excellent judgement, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of using IT Service Management tools.
- Python (or other scripting language e.g. C++, Ruby, PowerShell)
- Exposure to Cloud technologies & platforms (Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS).