We are looking for an enthusiastic, versatile Technical Lead, with experience working in the Defence or National Security sectors. You will need confidence and presence to be able to lead our small team, however it is essential that you are happy to be ‘hands on’ too. If you want to work at an agile, successful company, who puts their people and their customers at the heart of everything they do, then this could be a great opportunity for you.
This key role within our business will be ideal if you are a leader who is passionate about meeting customers’ needs and have the technical know-how to enable you to assist your team in finding the best possible solutions.
Key duties include:
• Working with clients in the Defence and National Security sectors, leading a small software engineering team, delivering quality solutions within complex and secure IT environments
• Contributing to technology strategies, roadmaps, design patterns and reviews for both the business and our customers
• Overseeing tasks and projects ensuring we deliver to the required deadlines, demonstrating leadership and guidance within your own specialism
• Providing support, technical expertise, advice and guidance to our internal and customer activities, including client system and server framework development.
• Helping identify and develop further business opportunities with our Account Managers
• Provision of timely, accurate reporting and updates to all key stakeholders.
• Mentor, coach and develop our junior staff
• Reporting to our valued and knowledgeable Chief Architect
• Experience of designing and implementing bespoke software solutions for clients combined with several years’ experience of leading technical teams, ideally in the Defence / National Security Sector
• Clear understanding of the principles and technologies surrounding information and data management and exploitation/analysis including; lifecycle management, data and information management, NoSQL and relational databases
• Able to interact confidently with customers, always going the extra mile to achieve their goals
• Experience of producing clear, concise, well-written documents tailored to your target audience (including non-technical)
• A strong technical background and a desire to learn new skills.
• Ideally you will have:
o Experience of developing and deploying solutions in Linux-based systems
o Technical Software development, software integration and engineering lifecycles and design experience
o Full stack development knowledge
o Experience developing, implementing and supporting customisations and extensions to COTS and Open Source platforms
o One or more of Elastic Stack, ArcGIS, RabbitMQ, Apache NiFi or similar
o Ideally educated to at least BSc in a computer related subject, engineering or similar or have other relevant professional qualifications and experience
o SC/DV clearance or the willingness to undergo this process
• To be considered, it is essential that you are a British Citizen due to the required security clearance.
If you are a collaborative team player who will add value, able to motivate yourself and take pride in delivering excellent customer solutions to often tight deadlines, then we would love to hear from you.
• A background in defence is ideal but not critical, in the current climate it is however hard to get clearances quickly so current clearance is also preferable.
• Previous leadership / mentoring experience is ideally required for this role
• Back end experience is more important than front end (although both is ideal) but we do need people with the knowledge and experience of the “full stack”
Salary bracket: £60-£70k
• Discretionary bonus of 5.5% plus top up (which in recent years has been generous)
• Pension: 9% employer pension contribution (employee therefore not required to contribute)
• Private health care for employee and family
• 4 x salary death in service
• Gym membership contribution – For staff based at the Twyning office we have a gym membership at the Hilton Puckrup (5 mins drive away). Any home workers or people based permanently at customer sites are entitled to clain up to £16 per month towards the payment of a gym membership. Proof of payment will be required.
• Cycle to work scheme
• Perkbox account
• 5 days training per year
• 5 days professional development training per year
• Flexible working options These benefits are subject to change and would be confirmed at the time of offer Team: The size of team they will be working with / managing will vary depending on the project, but this could be between two and eight people typically
Clients: We work in Defence and National Security, with about 20% of our work being around R&D for Dstl. Location: We are flexible. Our offices have re-opened. There is likely to be a mix of working from home with the odd day or two here and here in the office. In a typical project, we work in two week sprints, so being on site for two days out of ten would be helpful. Sometimes more depending on the project to help the technical team.